|Early campus map|
M.D. Anderson LibraryThe M.D. Anderson Library has been around since 1951, and since its erection it has undergone two renovations and two additions. The most notable difference is the building's front entrance, which was changed from a stoic-looking facade to a beautiful glass entrance complete with a balcony that overlooks Butler Plaza.
|Initial construction of the M.D. Anderson Library|
|The original red wing entrance to the M.D. Anderson Library|
|Original entrance to the M.D. Anderson Library with marble walls and turnstiles|
|Interior view of the original M.D. Anderson Library lobby|
|Couch setup in the brown wing of the M.D. Anderson Library before the desk cubicles were installed|
Architecture BuildingThe College of Architecture didn't always have the grandiose complex that stands today. The original structure that architecture students called home was a small one-story building built in 1954. The current College of Architecture building was designed by architect Philip Johnson, who also designed other well-known structures such as the Crystal Cathedral in California and the Transco Tower (now officially called the Williams Tower).
|The original architecture building built in 1954|
|Current day - The Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture|
Robertson StadiumUp until last year, Robertson Stadium has hosted the university's home games and pep rallies. It was named after You can find up-to-date information on the new stadium on the Houston Football Stadium home page. The new stadium will boast a capacity of 40,000 seats, 160 concession stands when it opens in August of 2014. The orientation of this new stadium has changed from the original orientation to an east-to-west orientation to allow the Houston skyline to be viewed. It will also feature a state-of-the-art HD LED videoboard.
|Aerial view of campus with the late Robertson Stadium|
|Band Day at Robertson Stadium, September 1956|
Cullen Family PlazaThe area between the Ezekiel Cullen Building, the Roy G. Cullen building, and the science building wasn't always occupied by the beautiful fountains and sculptures of the Cullen Family Plaza. Before the plaza was built in 1972, the space between the science building and the Roy G. Cullen Building was occupied by a reflection pool gracefully decorated by water lilies.
|Original view of campus in 1935, facing southeast. The Ezekiel Cullen Building is the structure|
in the middle, and the building to the left of it is the original M.D. Anderson Library.
|The UH Reflection Pool from the Ezekiel Cullen Building|
|Roy G. Cullen building standing behind the Reflection Pool where the Cullen Family Plaza is now located|
Roy G. Cullen BuildingThe Roy G. Cullen Building is the oldest buildings on the University of Houston campus and has for the most part retained most of its original characteristics. Currently home to the English department, the Roy G. Cullen Building was named in honor of the late only son of Hugh Roy Cullen who passed away in an oil field accident. The exterior hasn't changed much, but the inside has seen a few updates.
|A view off the balcony in the interior of the Roy G. Cullen Building. Today this large|
open area has been covered to make a full second floor.
The biggest difference you might notice is the fact that the wide-open space is now covered and features a lounging area. Other features, such as wheelchair ramps, have also been added to conform with the ever-changing building codes.
You can find more photographs of the early days of the University of Houston in the University of Houston Campus Life collection and the Houstonian Yearbook collection.